Deadlines are June 13, 2012 for mid-scale projects (between $250,001 and $1 million per year for up to five years), and July 11, 2012 for small projects (up to $250,000 per year for up to three years). Up to $25 million total is available.
The NSF/NIH program is part of a federal “Big Data Research and Development Initiative,” announced by the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP). To launch the initiative, six federal departments and agencies (NSF, NIH, the Department of Defense, DARPA, the Department of Energy Office of Science, and the U.S. Geological Survey) will be announcing more than $200 million in new commitments.
A $10 million NSF award to researchers at UC Berkeley is one of the new awards announced in conjunction with the Big Data R&D Initiative, under the NSF Expeditions in Computing program.
- NSF Solicitation Core Techniques and Technologies for Advancing Big Data Science & Engineering (BIGDATA)
- NIH Notice NSF-NIH Interagency Initiative: Core Techniques and Technologies for Advancing Big Data Science and Engineering (BIGDATA)
- OSTP Blog Big Data is a Big Deal
- OSTP Big Data Fact Sheet
- OSTP Big Data Press Release
- NSF Press Release NSF Leads Federal Efforts In Big Data
- UC Berkeley News Center Big grant for Big Data: NSF awards $10 million to harness vast quantities of data