The Berkeley campus subscribes to the Community of Science (COS) and IRIS funding opportunities databases; each is accessible on any computer with a berkeley.edu address. COS and IRIS can be used to search or browse program announcements in all areas from federal and regional government sponsors, foundations, and other organizations. The program listings provide full information on each funding opportunity and links to the agency program announcements.
If you are new to using IRIS or COS, the best way to start may be to use the keyword search to select one or more areas of interest, then browse the search results. If the results are too extensive, narrow the search by adding a qualifier or two. The IRIS Help File and COS Instructions are recommended reading for search tips and guidance.
IRIS also provides listings of programs with upcoming deadlines in over twenty subject areas. The lists are divided into two groups: one for all academic levels, and the other for graduate students and undergraduates.
For help using the COS and IRIS databases or for an individual funding search for Berkeley faculty, contact Shelley Sprandel at email@example.com or 2-8122.
Other SPO Resources
The SPO web site has additional resources on funding program information. The funding page provides the following:
- Links to IRIS and COS
- Recently announced federal, UC, nonprofit, and other funding programs, sorted by agency, providing the deadline, a brief summary, and a link to the agency solicitation
- Lists of grant programs in specific categories, with approximate deadlines, program summaries, and links to the program web sites: equipment; travel; young faculty; and postdoctoral research in the biological sciences, social sciences, and humanities
- Funding alert services that provide email notification of new grant programs, including Grants.gov, the Foundation Center, the National Science Foundation, and the National Institutes of Health
- Limited submission programs that limit the number of applications that can come from one institution, with instructions and deadlines for the Berkeley campus
- Lists of links to federal, nonprofit, State of California, and UC funding program web sites