National Science Foundation News
Proposal & Award Policy & Procedures Guide (PAPPG)
Due to the number of comments received (many about current and pending support), there will not be an October 2019 posting of the PAPPG on the NSF website, and there will not be a January 2020 PAPPG effective date. The actual posting and effective dates are still to be determined.
National Institutes of Health News
Since “foreign components” require NIH prior approval, the following guidance has been provided by NIH:
Key measures for identifying foreign components are as follows:
- Is a portion of the project being conducted outside the US?
- No – not a foreign component
- Yes – are the activities being conducted outside of the US significant?
- Indicators include:
- collaborations with investigators at a foreign site anticipated to result in co-authorship;
- use of facilities or instrumentation at a foreign site; or
- receipt of financial support or resources from a foreign entity.
In October 2019, the requirement for ORCID identifiers will be incorporated into the appointment process for trainees, scholars, and participants supported by institutional research training, career development, and research education awards that require appointments through the xTrain system, including the following:
- T03, T15, T32, T34, T35, T37, T42, T90/R90, TL1, TL4, TU2,
- K12/KL2, R25, R38, RL5, RL9
- F05, F30, F31, F32, F33, F37, F38, F99/K00, FI2,
- K01, K02, K05,K07, K08, K18, K22, K23, K24, K25, K26, K38, K43, K76, K99/R00
An NIH Regional Seminar on Program Funding and Grants Administration will be held in Phoenix, Arizona on November 6-8, 2019.